Why should I use an agency to let my property? I can find a tenant myself on Gumtree…!
Landlords have long tried to maximise the yield of their investment by keeping costs down, indeed that is what we offer landlords; to keep their costs at a minimum.
There is a fine line where landlords risk losses by cutting legitimate costs.
Imagine that your boiler at home had stopped working. Whilst it may be attractive to try repair it yourself, in most cases you would be better off employing a qualified professional to resolve the issue. This is of course subject to circumstances; there will sometimes be cases where you would save significant sums by choosing to carry out the repair yourself.
The same case can be presented for property lettings. Renting out your property should not be trivialised.
What it isn’t: Renting out your home is not like selling an old mobile phone. It is not like giving away an unused sofa, or your collection of old Kanye records. Renting out a residential property is a transaction which is subject to a host of legislation, a process which is fraught with potential mishaps.
You may be able to rent out your property yourself, as you may be able to repair your boiler. But, this decision is likely to come back to haunt you.
Whilst renting from a private landlord holds legitimate appeal to many tenants who perceive this as a cheaper route, there are not really much more benefits. In fact, renting from a reputable agent is always perceived as a safer option by applicants, due to the transparency, safety, compliance, accessibility, and maintenance options.
So why do applicants try to find private landlords on Gumtree? The key motive for renting from a private landlord directly is usually financial, as there are some landlords who don’t charge any deposits or require any kind of guarantee. The only other real reason is to avoid the checks which are carried out by an agency. These are both major causes for concern.
The process at Rent North East:
- Professional photographs are taken of your property, by our in house photographer.
- Particulars are drawn up, to include key terms of any potential agreement, to ensure easy conflict resolution in the case of any dispute.
- Your property is advertised on over 40 websites, including all major portals (Rightmove, Zoopla, Gumtree, EasyRoomate, PrimeLocation) and on social media.
- Your property is sent to matching applicants on our database.
- Enquiries are attended to by our professional and experienced helpdesk team
- Viewings are taken by a proffesional viewing negotiator
- Right to rent checks are carried out
- Full vetting and referencing is carried out in house. This includes multiple checks to ensure, as much as is possible, that the applicant would be a suitable tenant
- A full report is provided to you for your comments/questions/approval
- Full inventory is carried out (on managed properties)
- Applicant is provided with certificates via tracked system to avoid issues at a later date.
- Compliant agreements are drawn up and signed.
- Initial funds taken, deposit protected.
- Keys handed over with information pack.
- All correspondence tracked, calls recorded, and compliance ensured, throughout process.